Jackson, N. (2009). Who do I talk to? Thomas Nelson: New York.
Annotation: When Gabby Fairbanks finds that her husband has changed the locks to their penthouse she realizes she needs one of those "God things" she's seen happen for other Christians.
Summary: Gabby is a wealthy wife and mother who suddenly finds that her husband has changed the locks and taken their kids to stay with his parents. He's angry because she's taken a job at a homeless shelter as its activities director and because her mother has temporarily moved in with them after the death of Gabby's father. New to Chicago, Gabby finds she has no where to go but to the homeless shelter where she just the day before resigned from her position. Life at the shelter is tough, but she finds that between the friends she has made there and their faith in God, she just might find that "God thing" she's witnessed in other Christians.
Review: I'll admit that I have never read Christian fiction before. I was pleasantly surprised with this book. Gabby is a likable character who is doing the best she can to survive a previously unthinkable situation. Presenting Gabby as a newcomer to the area made it believable that she would have no support system outside of the shelter. The homeless women in the shelter seem realistic if a little soft for the tough streets of Chicago. I think that Christian women seeking a novel where a woman is able to turn to God to overcome seemingly insurmountable obstacles will enjoy this.
Summary: Gabby is a wealthy wife and mother who suddenly finds that her husband has changed the locks and taken their kids to stay with his parents. He's angry because she's taken a job at a homeless shelter as its activities director and because her mother has temporarily moved in with them after the death of Gabby's father. New to Chicago, Gabby finds she has no where to go but to the homeless shelter where she just the day before resigned from her position. Life at the shelter is tough, but she finds that between the friends she has made there and their faith in God, she just might find that "God thing" she's witnessed in other Christians.
Review: I'll admit that I have never read Christian fiction before. I was pleasantly surprised with this book. Gabby is a likable character who is doing the best she can to survive a previously unthinkable situation. Presenting Gabby as a newcomer to the area made it believable that she would have no support system outside of the shelter. The homeless women in the shelter seem realistic if a little soft for the tough streets of Chicago. I think that Christian women seeking a novel where a woman is able to turn to God to overcome seemingly insurmountable obstacles will enjoy this.
Series: Yada Yada Prayer Group
Possible Recommendations: Other books in this series, Harry Bentley's Second Chance by Dave Jackson, Cape Refuge by Terri Blackstock, The Telling by Beverly Lewis
Rating: 3Q, 2P
No comments:
Post a Comment