Saturday, May 12, 2012

World War Z



Brooks, M. (2006). World War Z. New York: Crown.

Annotation: Max Brooks, a UN Postwar Commission Agent shares first person accounts from people who lived through the ten-year long Zombie Wars.

Summary: This book is the compilation of first person accounts of life during and after the Zombie Wars or "World War Z." It was compiled by Max Brooks, a UN Postwar Commission agent, who did this because the official UN report chose only to focus on facts and figures and not on the lives of the people who survived the war. Through these accounts we learn that although it is still unknown how the first zombie was created, the first victim was a young boy in China. We also learn that while the War is officially considered over, there are still millions of zombies roaming the earth and the human population has been decimated in most areas and completely wiped out in others. World power has changed hands as well and Cuba- now a democracy- is both the financial and political leader.

Review:This was the first zombie novel I ever read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Prior to reading this I thought zombie fiction would be all about the gore and more suited to teen boys that like video games. This book is definitely about zombie attacks, but Brooks clearly used this novel as a vehicle for social commentary. In my opinion, it was so well written that I felt like I was reading a true account of the actual effects of a war.

Possible recommendations: Zombie Survival Guide by Brooks, Zombiestan by Mainak Dhar

Rating:4Q, 2P

No comments:

Post a Comment